Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Test images and test suite (was Re: GIMP should fork babl and GEGL)

On 11/12/2014 08:32 PM, Pat David wrote:
Jehan,

Ah, I did mean to link something, but thank you for linking my Flickr
account.  Note that for the most part, I have the RAW files from any of my
photos that I'd be happy to release for whatever purposes are needed.

I also have model releases for all of my images as well, and can include
them as needed (there might need to be some discussion surrounding how that
release is made available and in what context as they contain probably
sensitive information regarding the models themselves).

​To Elle's point about licensing, I can make them CC-BY(-SA) as appropriate.

To Elle's other point about color, I would imagine that the most desirable
solution would be to host the actual RAW files themselves (hopefully from a
variety of capture sources/cameras).  Any further work around conversion
should probably be noted as needed to effectively reproduce the results.

More importantly, if there is a consensus reached about certain types of
test images, I am also available to shoot new ones specifically for the
purpose.  I can rent other cameras/bodies as needed to support multiple
capture sources.  Please don't hesitate to ask if there's something that
may prove useful (I may not be coding, but perhaps I can at least help out
in this way).  ​

It looks like we've reached the point of "let's do this", which will require assembling the actual images and ironing out a lot of details.

I take it as given that Pat, Jehan, and myself will do the actual work of assembling the images, yes? And all three of us will also contribute test images. We each have websites so we can put up pages with thumbnails of suggested test images for consideration.

Nicolas Robidoux has already pointed to a good collection of images, which also provides a model for including all the required copyright and image generation information.

Contributions of proposed test images from other people are of course very, very welcome.

Would it be appropriate to perhaps ascertain who all wants to be actively involved in putting together a pack of test images? And then perhaps take this discussion off-list until we have something concrete to present for further input from GIMP users?

Best regards,
Elle Stone