Re: [Gimp-developer] Soft proofing and the GIMP Display Filters and Color Management settings

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 22:03 -0300, Gez wrote:
El lun, 10-03-2014 a las 16:06 -0400, Liam R E Quin escribió:

+1 although for print work at this point you have to move to Krita or
Photoshop, most likely photoShop with a "preflight" plugin, so that you
can adjust individual plates (e.g. with dodge) for the different ink
colours (CMYK at the most basic, or two plates for a duotone).

That's not entirely true.
You could use an intermediate or late binding workflow, do the creative
part in RGB and convert to CMYK later.
IMO, although early binding has a couple of advantages, tweaking the
CMYK plates individually gives you the false illusion that you have
extra control, and you can easily end up screwing your output unless you
know exactly what you're doing (for instance exceeding the recommended
TAC for your output).

Yes, totally agree, I think I wasn't clear - when I said "the print
shop" I meant the pressroom, the chapel ;), and was not referring to an
agency that sends things off out-of-house to printers.  GIMP is
certainly central to a workflow in which the person editing the image
isn't the person who will have to worry about ink coverage and trapping
and bleed...

Pippin also kindly reminded me on IRC of a talk by Peter Sikking, which
I had forgotten, and which showed that he had moderated his position to
be more accommodating of needs of people preparing for print...

[...]

 soft proofing is extremely important. You can use
RGB for print, but you need a reliable set of tools to proof colors
against the desired output, and you need them to be handy.

+1

Liam