Re: [Gimp-developer] Soft proofing and the GIMP Display Filters and Color Management settings

El lun, 10-03-2014 a las 16:06 -0400, Liam R E Quin escribió:

+1 although for print work at this point you have to move to Krita or
Photoshop, most likely photoShop with a "preflight" plugin, so that you
can adjust individual plates (e.g. with dodge) for the different ink
colours (CMYK at the most basic, or two plates for a duotone).

That's not entirely true.
You could use an intermediate or late binding workflow, do the creative
part in RGB and convert to CMYK later.
IMO, although early binding has a couple of advantages, tweaking the
CMYK plates individually gives you the false illusion that you have
extra control, and you can easily end up screwing your output unless you
know exactly what you're doing (for instance exceeding the recommended
TAC for your output).
I've been working for print using free software for the last 6 or 7
years, and GIMP is part of my pipe. I have some tricks for
duotones/tri-tones that I had to develop out of necessity (it's true
that GIMP's UI doesn't offer a handy way to create them, but combining
the decompose tool with the Separate+ plugin you can get very good
results).
I think it's just matter of workflows, and although GIMP isn't suited
for early binding, it can provide a reasonable set of tools for
intermediate and late binding.
And because of this, soft proofing is extremely important. You can use
RGB for print, but you need a reliable set of tools to proof colors
against the desired output, and you need them to be handy.

Gez.