Re: [Gimp-developer] [GUI] Scrollbars for Script-Fu dialogs

On Sat, 2014-03-01 at 15:46 +0100, peter sikking wrote:
well, as I understand it the big picture is that the
script writer puts together the dialog, i.e. is a
third party developer.

The problem is that the developer only specifies abstract
parameters with no GUI whatsoever, it's a flat list and
script-fu generates the GUI automatically.

at that point GIMP can offer:

1) building blocks to reduce what needs to be shown at once
 (tabs, expander sections) or vertically (multi-column)
2) tutorials and style guides for script writers how to
 use less fields in dialogs, and how to use the things from 1)

That would be really nice if there was a way to add meta
information for GUI building attached to the script, the
exactly same problem exists with GEGL ops and we have
a solution in mind where each parameter/property can
have arbitrary name/value pairs attached. The system
is in place, we just need to define names/values for
GIMP to parse and make a GUI from.

For Script-Fu, there is no such system, and until there
is, I think there is not much else we can do but let the
contents scroll if there are too many parameters, in order
to make the dialog usable at all.

Regards,
--Mitch