Re: [Gimp-developer] Getting contributors via OpenHatch

On 06/01/2014 03:49 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

Call me cynical, but someone that needs really more detailed
instructions will likely not have the programming background to be a
useful Gimp developer. Of course I expect potential Gimp contributors to
be somewhat "already-knowledgeable", at least in the basics of Linux
application development.  Lines have to be drawn somewhere...

I've shown several people how to build GIMP from git. One person was a c coder who wanted to write and submit a patch. Which he did. Another person is currently working on a patch.

For these two people the entry barrier of figuring out how to build GIMP from git would have been a waste of time.

Coding skills are separable from the software-specific knowledge of how to compile from source. I've compiled a lot of software from source, and each time there's a unique set of challenges in terms of getting all the dependencies in line.

The Calligra build instructions (http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building) make it possible for potential new code contributors to all work with the same setup. This way:

*The Calligra developers don't have to worry about whether the potential new contributor compiled the software in some odd way that's causing problems.

*The potential new contributor doesn't have to reinvent the wheel as they figure out how to get all the dependencies installed.

Wouldn't GIMP benefit from similarly precise, step-by-step build instructons?

Regards,

Elle Stone