Re: [Gimp-developer] Remove "you can drop dockable dialogs here" label?

On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 04:09 -0500, Sam Gleske wrote:
 Hide the
drop icon (as it is currently mocked) completely until user mouses over the
area.  Regular users who don't populate that area don't necessarily need to
see a "drop" area but new users can still discover it if they accidentally
mouse over it.  With the assumption that they accidentally removed the docs
of course.

I'm not sure about this.
The problem is the one on the right, isn't it?

First, we have to keep in mind that there are two possible situations:
single window mode and floating windows.
The drop target I mocked on the right is intended for single window mode
only. It wouldn't make sense with floating windows because you can't
dock dialogs in the image window when you're using that mode.

Also hiding and showing the drop target on mouse over would require to
reserve the area or making it pop up anytime you hover, and that would
be very annoying at any rate.
I think the drop target on the right should be displayed only when there
is no image open and no docked dialogs.

The drop target on the left is part of the toolbox window in window
mode, so it's a little bit different. It can be showed always (when
there is no dialog docked, of course) both in single and multi window
modes.