Re: [Gimp-developer] Remove "you can drop dockable dialogs here" label?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/255376/gimp/GIMP-drop-icon.png

In general, I like the idea, but there's an obvious usability problem
here: this icon looks like a button, and the first thing one group of
people will try to do is to click it. Needless to say, they will fail.
Another group  of people will decide that this is an inactive button
and that they should do something to activate it, which is, again,
unapplicable to this case.

My educated guess is that only a fraction of users will read the
tooltip and act accordingly. I'd love to be proven wrong, though :)

Also, repeating myself from an IRC conversation...

I'm not sure why we need this message or button at all.

This message is only visible in the tools toolbar when you drag the
tools settings dialog away, which you do either by accident or
intentionally.

So it's only kinda helpful when you have absolutely no idea what you
just did. And I'm saying "kinda", because I've seen enough evidence
that people who accidentally close dialogs or move them away don't
know what to do anyway. They typically end up on forums asking "Help!
I did something, and this thing is gone!" or "I changed something, and
now this thing is elsewhere and I need it back!".

People who already know how to organize UI in GIMP don't need this
reminder in either form at all, because they already know.

It's all assumptions, of course :)

Alexandre