Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp on Steam

Am 2014-02-09 12:59, schrieb Michael Schumacher:
On 09.02.2014 07:13, Abraham Levi Mireles Alvarez wrote:

I think the main benefit would be in the distribution and secondly in
the exposure.

Will this require users to get a Steam account to download/use software
from this platform then? Seems to be a very hot topic according to some
quick searches.

Yes, you need an account to download and use software (99% of it are games atm).

I am no developer But I know that it’s easy to keepe everyone on the
latest version an Steam is a trustable distribution place (more than
the old one that’s for sure).

Our current one is probably the most trustable, and we don't see that as
a temporary solution - the "anything else is not trustable" attitude
some users have now isn't the worst, either.

Steam is surely a much more trustable place then many other sites. Another benefit is the auto-update-feature. Software gets updated automatically as new versions are released, which is pretty nice if there should be i.e. a hot-fix-release. And - if you do it right - it can be a very nice place to beta-test upcoming releases on an audiance that is mostly the opposite of a developer. I don't know how one gets software to be distributed via steam, but I think if you consider it - there should be a dedicated person to manage this. It will be additional work.

Steam is available on Linux too since mid 2013. However it's a closed source system.

Best regards,
Bernhard