Re: [Gimp-developer] Three questions about opening an image and converting it to linear light RGB

El mar, 08-04-2014 a las 09:19 +0300, Ville Sokk escribió:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
I'm still testing the other gimp/app/operations layer blend modes. But
probably *all* clamping code should be removed from *all* layer blend modes.

Elle's two cents worth

I would like to mention that the current blending modes were created
to replace the old 8-bit ones. I was told they should be as close as
possible to the old ones (so you could open images made with <=2.8 in
2.10 and they would look the same). There have been talks about adding
blending modes with normal formulas (without clamping and other weird
stuff) but this hasn't happened yet. I think people weren't sure how
to show both sets of blending modes in the UI.

As a user following the development of GIMP, I think it would be far
more interesting if the blending modes and operations work correctly and
consistently with the new core.
I'm aware that keeping legacy compatibility is high in the priorities
list, but maybe that can be added later. From what you say, it looks
like "proper" has to wait. It seems more reasonable if it is the other
way around.

At the moment some legacy compatibility seems to be getting in the
middle every time you want to try the new capabilities of the program.
Clipping and some blending modes is one of those things, and some
confusing bits about editing in linear and gamma precisions too.

Gez.