Re: [Gimp-developer] Usability for icon-editing

Thomas W writes:
1) Icons open at 100% view, which is tiny in the window & far smaller than
what I want for working at. This always requires two steps -- increase
magnification, and then drag the window larger.

You might want to change the preference "Resize window on zoom"
in the Preferences window under "Image Windows". It will eliminate
the second step.

3) Not very easy to test icons. There's no quick way to get rid of the
selection border, layer borders & background checks to view the overall
tonality & see how it looks against a white background.

You know about the items in the View menu, right? And if you do
View->New View, you can turn off all that visual clutter in one
view while leaving it on in the other. You can also have a view
that shows you the icon at actual size, while you work on another
view with a high zoom.

4) Feature idea:  Especially nice would be the ability to view & test
icons, or transparency in general, by dragging it against a white/ and
variegated background (or over the whole desktop)  with a range of zoom
levels from 100 - 400%.

That would be nice. I test transparent images by having a white or
colored background that I turn on or off as I edit the image, but
having a way to do that without making an extra layer would be useful.

You can test against the current desktop, even with transparency, using
Filters->Animation->Playback, then click the Detach button and drag
the image to the desktop. It would be nice if this feature wasn't so
hidden, since it's very useful for non-animated images but no one
is likely to discover it where it is without being told.

Perhaps icon-editing is a little bit different from the "photographic
editing" usecase, but it's quite common. Does anybody else find areas where
GIMP could support the user/ workflow better? Suggestions welcome.

I've found GIMP to be an excellent tool for what little icon editing
I've done, mostly because of its multiple views.

        ...Akkana