Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-developer-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 20

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com>wrote:

well I have the "mysterious box collecting [my] keystroke" (also using
GIMP 2.8.4 as shipped by Mint, hence Ubuntu). It just looks to me like
a feature for being able to select a file without having the text
field active. And it does not block Enter for saving (which was the
original bug reported in the email as I understand it).
So I don't see any bug there.

Well, I haven't been following the thread closely but I don't know what you
expect it to mean that something would "block Enter".

When in this mode, if you type and hit enter, the box goes away and nothing
appears to happen. It isn't clear that the box is even there because it's
not in the visual field. It appears that nothing happens, including enter.
After hitting enter and trying to type again, the box reappears. Unless you
pay close attention what is happening this is both very non-obvious and
frustrating.

I don't understand the bug's comment because I've never tried to use Alt-S
or Alt-E in that dialog. I suspect the bug report is simply poorly phrased
out of frustration, which I can completely relate to.

How is this popup search even useful when there's already search built in
to the file name input? I would agree the popup should be removed/disabled.
Arrow up/down work in it but Page up/down doesn't. Arrow up/down,
left/right, and Page up/down all work (mostly) reasonably when used from
the file name input. Worst of all, if you select a file from the multiple
choice file name input and then arrow up/down, you're in the file chooser
portion and typing uses the popup search instead of the file name search
you just came from.

Personally, I hit this frequently and think this behavior is an
extraordinarily frustrating usability disaster.

Chris