[Gimp-developer] Help!!!

Hi there. I downloaded GIMP 2.8 today and it has been quite a nightmare so far. For one thing, I do not get
the three components when I open the software. I only get the middle largest segment, not the tools and not
the historic component. I am reading through the manual and cannot apply anything as it has no instruction
how to get the three components in place. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.