Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp build for Windows

Hi Skand,

here is a detailed guide of how to compile the dependencies. First of
all, I used MinGW64 cross compiler (Ruben's personal build) to build
both 32 and 64bit versions of Gimp. 32bit version works on Windows XP
and newer, 64bit version works on Win7, does not work on XP 64bit, I
suppose it would work on Vista and newer. I cannot see any issue like
instability or malfunctions.

zlib - I wasn't able to run configure for cross-compilation here,
fortunately this is an easy piece of code, so make can be called
directly with Makefile.gcc
libffi - no problems from here onwards until I mention some
libiconv
libxml2
gettext
glib - this is a bit tricky. I don't want to go into details, but there
are several issues with it and requires lots of manual intervention. I
can perhaps describe all the issues in a separate thread, if someone
request that
gtk-doc - no problems
atk - does not want to build shared library for 64bit version. Generated
libtool must be manually edited to go through.
libpng - no problems again
jpeg-8d
jasper
tiff
gdk-pixbuf
freetype
fontconfig
lcms (taken from ghostscript source)
lcms2
jbig2dec (taken from ghostscript source)

ghostscript - this is really hard one. In the end I created my own
script to build libgs.dll

libspectre - no problems again
poppler
pixman - must be configured with --disable-sse2 !!! Otherwise Gimp gets
very unstable, at least on virtual XP SP3
cairo - no problems from now till the end
harfbuzz
pango
libcroco
librsvg
libexif
libmng
iso-codes
gtk+
babl
gegl
GIMP !!!

Some final thoughts. The configure and libtool are very often so clever
that they refuse to build shared libraries even if all the required
dependencies exist. libtool must be manually edited and then it builds
them OK. The extra mentioned atk package is an exception to this role -
they are even more clever here for the 64bit cross-compilation that much
bigger portion of libtool must be commented out.

For this reason it is almost impossible to create an automated script
which would do all the job. Or at least I am not skilled enough for
that.

I don't know whether the sequence I gave here is an optimal one, but it
works. I hope it will be helpful anyway.

Pavel