Re: [Gimp-developer] Ways to improve Gimp 2.9 performance

On 2/28/13, Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net> wrote:
Quark Express used to have the notion of a "project folder", and if you
put fonts in it, they'd be activated only when working on the files in
that folder. I miss this, but gimp is scatterbrained when it comes to
folders, with export going to the last place where you saved something
two days ago for an unrelated project unless you are careful.
I've noticed this odd behavior. A project approach would be nice.

Turning off 3D effects / compiz can increase drawing speed
I use Icewm, which doesn't really have any "effects"; all the
underlying kde eye candy (shadows on windows, hi-color icons, etc) has
been eliminated.

And do you have any idea what large file(s) might Gimp have been
writing to its system configuration file that filled up 15GB? The undo
history?
Yes, the tile cache and undo history. And if it was that big, your gimp
would *really* have had a limp.
It was stopped in its tracks. I used "kill" to put it out of its misery.

Elle