Re: [Gimp-developer] Ways to improve Gimp 2.9 performance

I followed Nicolas' suggestion and recompiled babl, gegl and gimp with
CFLAGS="-march=native -O3" CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O3". The computer
didn't blow up or anything. But I can't say whether Gimp runs any
faster.

The idea of optimization seemed promising and I found this thread:
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/14320-benchmarking-gimp-gegl#message66197

Does optimization depend on the actual processor? Is there a set of
optimizations that makes sense for a circa 2005 AMD Opteron 252 (soon
to be 262) processor? It has built-in floating point etc, was
considered very fast when doing mathematical operations (that's why I
picked it). What about these: -Ofast -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize ?
Others? Is there any danger to the computer when recompiling packages
using these flags? Or just the danger of the occasional math error?

 What about cairo, gtk, etc? Would it make sense to compile these from
source using optimizations of some sort or another? Or are they
already compiled with all sensible optimizations by openSUSE?