Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection lost while working on multiple images (GTK #694060)

> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection lost while working on multiple images (GTK #694060)
> From: mitch gimp org
> To: gespertino gmail com
> CC: strata_ranger hotmail com; gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:37:32 +0100
>
> On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 14:22 -0300, gespertino gmail com wrote:
> > 2013/2/19 Richard Gitschlag <strata_ranger hotmail com>
> >
> > > So the question that remains is - if you switch between images and do
> > > another select with the same tool, why does GIMP need to Undo the first one
> > > at all? It's got to be a bug.
> > >

> > No doubt it is a bug.
> >
> > According to the documentation:
> > "When an image is stored as an XCF file, the file encodes nearly everything
> > there is to know about the image: the pixel data for each of the layers,
> > the current selection, additional channels if there are any, paths if there
> > are any, and guides. The most important thing that is *not* saved in an XCF
> > file is the undo history."
> >
> > The XCF format stores selections, so I think it's pretty clear that every
> > file should have its own selections and switching between open images
> > shouldn't destroy them.
>
> This is all totally unrelated to the actual bug here, so was the entire
> thread.
>
> The bug is that rect and ellipse select are modifying the selection
> on the fly, and abuse the undo system to do their stuff.
>
> Aborting the current tool operation when switching images is however
> completely normal and is not going to change, sorry.
>
> --mitch

I totally understand this when it comes to selectors that require multiple steps to complete one operation (e.g: Freehand, Foreground, and Scissors) - if you don't provide all the necessary information then of course it must abort its operation.

But not all selectors belong to that group.  Floodfill (fuzzy/by color) selectors are different - one click, one action, tool's done.  Rectangle and Ellipse selectors are different too - one click+drag and the shape is already there in your image's selection channel (and undo history) - there is nothing to abort.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com