Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection lost while working on multiple images. Missing feature or bug?

> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:12:22 +0100
> From: kolbjoern stuestoel no
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection lost while working on multiple images. Missing feature or bug?
>
> Den 17.02.2013 20:22, skreiv Tobias Oelgarte:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I open two images in Gimp 2.8.4 and create an selection (for example
> > rectangle selection) for the first image. If i now switch to the
> > second image and do an selection as well, then the selection on the
> > first image is gone if i switch back. Is this intentional or a bug?
> > From the user perspective it would be nice to have independent
> > selections for individual images/documents.
>
> I do not know whether it is intentional or not but I guess it is.
> As long as you are able to resize the first selection it is in fact not
> created. The selecting tool is engaged making the selection. Trying to
> create another selection will therefore close the former attempt.
>
> If the selection is finished it is another task. The tool is ready for
> another job.
> Try: Create a selection in image one. Click another tool in the toolbox.
> Then move to image two, activate the selection tool again and create a
> new selection. The selection in image one is still there.

Then shouldn't the selector "commit" to the first image before getting itself "engaged" on the second?  Current behavior is that it "aborts" the first selection, which is NOT desirable behavior.

Do this:

1 - On any convenient image, create a selection.  Note the asterisk that appears in the title bar (image dirty).
2 - Try to close the image and GIMP will prompt to save changes.  Cancel.
3 - Toggle QuickMask to view the selection channel.

Notice that as of step 2, even though the selector is still "engaged" it is treated as a change to the image status (because changing a selection channel does this).

Now do this:

0 - Create any two convenient images.
1 - Create a selection on image 1.  Note the asterisk in the title bar (image dirty)
2 - Try to close the image and GIMP will prompt to save changes (cancel this).
3 - Go directly to image 2 and create a selection.
4 - Notice how (in multiwindow mode) the asterisk disappears from the title bar on image 1.
5 - Close image 1.  This time, Gimp does NOT prompt to save changes like it did in step 2.

That is totally a bug, but it gets even better.  Replace step 5 with something stupid (like a Hurl noise filter) and notice how it affects the whole image instead of only the area selected in step 1 (which, as step 2 verified, WAS present).

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com