[Gimp-developer] What about RAW files?

I was very impressed with damn near every aspect of this product/application until I decided to see how it worked as a possible supplement/replacement for Photoshop.  Everything worked fine until I attempted to load a RAW tiff out of my camera.  12MB shrank to a very distorted approx. 600k... with no options that I could find.  I realize there could be an enormous impact of proprietary RAW  conversion issues and maybe that's why your application does not/can not 'see' my RAW files.  I find it incredibly amusing that GIMP would go 99% of Adobe Photoshop and then stop with no RAW file support.  If there is no RAW support, add-on or otherwise, GIMP seems a bit overkill as a 'general' graphics/photo editor.  Please tell me I overlooked it.  Very, very well done though... what a labor.  With RAW file processing, I could support such an endeavor. wow.

pjmason, Ph.D.
Juneau, AK