[Gimp-developer] Scripting: creating a channel from a layer in another image and other channel-related manoeuvres

I need to create a channel in an image from a layer (or a channel) in another image of the same size.

I'm creating the other image so I can possibly copy the layer across the images and then use gimp-channel-new-from component() but is there a more direct method? I can't find a way to obtain a copy of a channel that doesn't remain attached to the same image (the channel equivalent to gimp-layer-new-from-drawable).

Then, gimp-layer-create-mask will accept a ADD-CHANNEL-MASK (6) type, but in this case how do I specify the channel?