[Gimp-developer] Query: Saving history already discussed?

I wasn't sure whether to ask this in gimp-dev or gimp-user.  I've been
searching through the archives but I can't really get a clear picture of
the situation.  Here's my question:

Has saving the undo history as part of the XCF format been discussed?  I
think it would be useful to have a persistent history or at least have
options for keeping.

I realize a file can get very large in this scenario (hundreds of megabytes
and gigabytes if the history is long enough even for small resolution
images).

Please let me know,
SAM