Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gegl-developer] Gimp 2.8 : my opinion

Thank you very much the answers. I understand very well now ! :)

2012/9/8 Jon Nordby <jononor gmail com>
On 8 September 2012 09:32, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 00:25 +0200, Alexandre Ravaux wrote:
>> *BEFRORE READING, EXCUSE THE SEVERAL MISTAKES YOU MAY READ IN THIS MESSAGE.
>> I'M FRENCH (I KONOW IT IS NOT A GREAT EXCUSE BUT I DO NOT FIND ANYTHING
>> ELSE...)*
>>
>> Hello,
>> I am a french young Gimp user (since 2.0 version) and I wish to tell my
>> opinion about the latest version (2.8). In fact, I did not know to whom I
>> have to send this message.I suppose you'll tell me where's the exit door,
>> or, at worst, to whom I have to write.
>>
>> I congratulate you for the hard work you do. All these improvements:
>> improved layers manager (with folders...), awesome text editor... But (yes
>> there is always a "but" in this kind of message) I do not appreciate the
>> deliberate choice that you made to save the file within the xcf format and
>> to export for the other formats. It is even contrary to the freedoms of the
>> user I think. Don't feel aggressed, but one of the priorities of GNU, if I
>> understand Stallman's philosophy, it is the user's freedom (short reminder
>> : GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program). Stallman's philosophy or not, I
>> think it is important to let people choose the format of the picture when
>> they're saving their file.
>>
>> I know there is little chance that you return to the saving mode into any
>> format.(I hope I contributed by exposing my opinion to the improvement of
>> GIMP).
>
> Thanks Alexandre for being friendly and not right away bitching
> like many others :)
>
> However, we did this change for a reason:
>
> http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification
>
> It's really only about getting used to a new keyboard
> shortcut when exporting.

Libre Graphics World has an article on the subject which is also worth a read:
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/gimp-2.8-understanding-ui-changes

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com

--