Re: [Gimp-developer] lcms high bit depth update: now that it works, adding and improving functionality

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Nicolas Robidoux
<nicolas robidoux gmail com> wrote:
> It is my opinion that XYZ is not fully replaced by infinite gamut linear RGB
> if only because XYZ has a channel which is a proper luminance channel. RGB
> does not.
>
> Enough to deserve a place within GIMP? Don't know. If my (initial) inputs
> and (final) outputs are sRGB, linear RGB with sRGB primaries is a better all
> around choice. But not a full replacement when you use nonlinear filtering.

Enough to deserve a place in babl/GEGL, but I think the ways they are
going to be used (by image processing algorithms) is well enough
covered without explicitly storing / confronting the user with an XYZ
image mode.

/Ø