[Gimp-developer] burn blend mode photoshop equivalent

Related to this thread in the user mailing list:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list/2012-November/msg00240.html

I've took a look and photoshop has 2 blend modes, "linear burn" and
"color burn", and I'm guessing if any of these blend modes are
equivalent to the "burn" blend mode that there is in Gimp.

According to the GIMP Documentation about the burn mode (
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-layer-modes.html )

"Burn mode inverts the pixel value of the lower layer, multiplies it
by 256, divides that by one plus the pixel value of the upper layer,
then inverts the result. It tends to make the image darker, somewhat
similar to “Multiply” mode."

An according to the Adobe Photoshop help (
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-77eba.html#WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-77e9a
)

"Color Burn Looks at the color information in each channel and darkens
the base color to reflect the blend color by increasing the contrast
between the two. Blending with white produces no change."

"Linear Burn Looks at the color information in each channel and
darkens the base color to reflect the blend color by decreasing the
brightness. Blending with white produces no change."

I've done a little testing and it seems to me that "burn" gimp mode
corresponds with the "color burn" in photoshop, but I'm not completely
sure.