Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:33:45 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>
>>> XCF is always the internal state of the document. Images get imported
>>> into an internal XCF, not opened and manipulated directly.
>>
>> Yes, I know.  But the *option* isn't fundamental.
>>
>> When you're driving a car, it's not a fundamental difference whether the
>> powertrain is gasoline, diesel, steam, electric, hybrid, warp drive
>> (well, maybe...).
>
> Your analogy is, frankly, weak. And hence the rest of it doesn't
> really apply.
>
> What you are saying, basically, is that users should not care how
> things work inside GIMP, and GIMP should not dictate the users how to
> work.

I'm saying that users shouldn't have to care how things work internally,
yes.  Users who know how it works internally can get better results
using XCF, but even expert users don't need that all the time.

> The thing is, we do not dictate users how to work, and neither does
> GIMP. We just make an editor for a particular workflow. Whether users,
> who rely on a different workflow, adopt it or not, is entirely up to
> them.

You're throwing a gratuitous roadblock in the way of people who want to
use it differently.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton