Re: [Gimp-developer] Feature request: Improve the Open file dialog thumbnails

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Jernej Simončič <jernej ena si> wrote:

Err, why? I find the Windows dialog boxes infinitely more usable than
GTK+'s (especially after the latest "improvement" with the Recent
list).

The GTK+ file chooser does seem to be horrible, and I'm not sure why.  Here's a usage scenario that continually drives me crazy in GIMP:

1) Create a new image
2) Select File->Save
-> The "Save File" dialog opens
3) Navigate to the correct directory
4) Type the filename to save

Expected result: The highlighted part of "Untitled" in "Name: Untitled.xcf" is replaced with what you type.

Actual result: The dialog assumes you want to destroy a file already in the directory and starts selecting from them until you type something that can't be completed using the files in the directory.  Then, another little window appears showing you what you're typing.  When you finish typing the name you want to save as and hit Enter, the dialog prompts you to overwrite the file that last matched what you were typing.

I'm not sure if the GTK+ file chooser really is this stupid, or if GIMP isn't setting some kind of "save mode" flag.

Chris