Re: [Gimp-developer] Feature request: Improve the Open file dialog thumbnails

On Friday, May 18, 2012, 10:53:46, Michael Schumacher wrote:

>> 3. Use the native "Open file" dialog.
> and no, just no.

Err, why? I find the Windows dialog boxes infinitely more usable than
GTK+'s (especially after the latest "improvement" with the Recent
list).

> Before ever doing that, GIMP should switch to an "if you need better
> file handling, then use your platform's file manager and open images
> from there" approach and ditch the file open dialog completely.
> I wouldn't be surprised if this was a GNOME user interaction goal, either.

This certainly sounds plausible, given that I found almost every
change to the dialog boxes made them slower and more awkward to use.

> I'm using Windows, and I open most file in any program either through
> their MRU list or via a Windows Explorer window, because all of the file
> open dialogs are awkward.

I don't - I find the file open dialog much better suited for this
(though the bad tab order is slightly annoying in Vista and 7). I
almost never use drag-and-drop.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

The easier it is to do, the harder it is to change.
       -- Eng's Principles