Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8.0 - Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm

2012/5/17 Markus Heiler <shevegen gmail com>:
> It now, hmm, forces me to store in a super awesome cool format...
> called xfccxghgf

The reason is that

1. Open file
2. Make changes
3. Save and close file
4. Open the saved file again

should be a non-destructive operation. In GIMP 2.6, this was not the
case, so we had to warn the user about loss of information when
"saving" as PNG for example. Now that exporting is a separate command,
we don't need to issue any warnings, and the process of creating PNGs
is smoother (once you learn the new way of working). And in an image
editor like GIMP, creating PNGs etc needs to be smooth ...

> [...] I now realize that I can't save my image like I used to be able to.

You can actually, just do

File -> Overwrite <file-you-opened.png>

instead of

File -> Save.