Re: [Gimp-developer] [Demo] Porting MyPaint brush engines to the GIMP.

Hi,
In Gimp on the other hand you don't have such presets and you start every time from scratch to design the brush again and again that you used previously. An excellent way to kill time without progress and desired result. :-(

It's not about the settings of the brush itself, it's about reusing brushes and their corresponding settings. For example: I use a knife to add color to a painting, then i use a knife without color to refine details and then i use the knife with color again. Switching between the two brushes can be done in MyPaint with one click or hotkey. But what will you do in Gimp?
have you heard of GIMPs already existing abilities to save and load presets? They are in version 2.6.12, but they have already been for longer time in GIMP. You find them at the bottom of each tools' window, like the brush dialog. There are disc icons to save, load, delete and reset tool presets. The stored settings contain the particular tool settings as well as the color. I just tried it out. Also the small triangle icon in the upper right corner of the tools dialogs offers these abilities. There are also many ready-to-use tool presets and brushes for instance at http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/gimpbrushes/?order=9, which can be very useful. What I was missing in the past were predefined presets out of the box, shipping with GIMP, but this will change in 2.8. Version 2.8RC1 has a reworked preset system: GIMP will ship with some presets, some reworked painting brushes and a preset window like Photoshop's 'Tool presets' window. I still haven't found a way to activate a particular preset by using a hotkey, but you can bind the new Preset window to a keyboard shortcut.

That the brush circle is so sloppy really irritates from drawing, not seeing where you really are.
Version 2.6.11 on my Windows system works fine in this point. For 2.8RC1 on Windows and 2.6.12 on OS X I have to agree with you.

Best regards,

grafxuser