Re: [Gimp-developer] An update on the menu search

On 2012-10-03 4:11 AM, peter sikking wrote:
sorry to spoil the party, but to see how think this is a good thing,
when it can be so treacherous, is quite dangerous.
But Peter, that's how all the experiments, prototypes, working models are! It has to be treacherous and it has to be dangerous. But exciting and inspirative, too. It's the fun of creation. So we can learn. Please, let's afford ourselves some (U)ser e(X)perience with this work before we judge it with too much ossified experience. No one will be hurt.

To use the example from the video: Ellipse. Yes, I agree with the assertion that clicking the icon is faster. How about typing even this expression in Srihari's prototype: e.g. 'selectellipse 304.4*304.4mm'. Results in: a 304.4*304.4mm elliptic selection loaded right on the cursor. It is arguable that this example would have an equally effective counterpart in either of suggested visceral/hands-on/shortcut approaches.

There are possibly a few more benefits. For example, if we imagine that each word is perhaps auto-filled, that the word order can be changed (i.e. '304.4*304.4mm selectellipse' = 'selectellipse 304.4*304.4mm'), that it 'gets' the meaning (these commands would have the same result: 'selectcircle 304.4mm', 'selectelipse 304.4mm', '304.4mm*304.4mm selectellipse', ...), or that the thesauri and the dictionaries could be 'translated' for other applications.

Maybe I am missing a point, but what is the substance of this 'tick-tick-tick' heuristics/metaphor? ...I like it very much, tho! ;) I did observe guys and girls working in newspaper offices, printing offices, etc. working like that. They are fast. But, they are not creating, they are editing. On the other hand, I have observed creatives whose rhythms are much different than that.
Or is it to suggest the access time for individual commands and operations?