Re: [Gimp-developer] An update on the menu search

can you give a statement what this is suppose to achieve.

Maximize productivity
  Almost forget that there is a menu-bar. Use the mouse/touchpad lesser.
Intent driven rather than hierarchy driven navigation
  Focus on 'what' rather than 'how'.
Discover functionality
  For new users
Help transition
  From proprietary software. "What is 'smth'  in GIMP?"

What key combination activates that?

Shift + ?

Also, do you have a public Git repo or something?

We do now - https://github.com/ssvz4/tito

why not extend that with more keywords, or even the
documentation for searching (to find the right command,
or to look up documentation).

Definitely planning to do that

GIMP is a tool for working fast.

True. We're thinking adaptive results. So a beginner might search for "delete" or "ellipse", while an experienced user will not.
Results should (will) be ordered by frequency of usage. (Or a more appropriate adapting technique)

Is it a plugin or is it hacked into gimp core?

 Hacked in...

Talking of improvements, we're thinking of regex, adaption, vocabulary, auto-complete, hierarchy based search, etc.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM, peter sikking <peter mmiworks net> wrote:
Srihari Sriraman wrote:

> We now have it up and working.
> Still looking to implement loads of features...
> Do pool in suggestions!
> http://youtu.be/hGAgG_XRhHc?hd=1

being part of the GIMP UI design team, I have to ask:

can you give a statement what this is suppose to achieve.

I can see the value in having searchable all the tooltip text
and have that mapped to obscure plugins, to find them.
and why not extend that with more keywords, or even the
documentation for searching (to find the right command,
or to look up documentation).

but doing a delete? the Delete key is a hell of a lot faster for that.

doing a ellipse selection? click on the tool icon.

all this typing, then scrolling, is a very slow way of doing that.
and GIMP is a tool for working fast.

 --ps

         man + machine interface works

     http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture