Re: [Gimp-developer] suggestions

2- add the option to snap guides at the border and/or center of layers bounds.

Relative snapping/positioning has been on my mind a lot! A lot of times when making banners or brochures, I just want one layer aligned at the same horizontal or vertical position or with same height or width. I don't need grids or any guides. In many of my designs, only the relative positioning of layers matters.

Currently, I do this by creating guides and then snapping both layers to it, appropriately. This is quite strenuous to repeat every time I need such a facility.

How about "snap to layer edges", which creates guides at all 4 edges of all layers. (See [1] )
These "Layer-Guides" could be in a different colour to differentiate from user-defined guides.
Could also configure which edges we would like to snap to.

If these Layer-Guides get visually confusing with other guides and the grid, then we can display the guide(s) momentarily when a layer is scaled or moved to snap to it(them). That is, show the guides only during the snap.

[1] https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28366148/relative-guides.jpg

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM, wanderer wrote:

> Here are the suggestions:
>
> 1- When you are using the scale or rotate tool and try to insert a guide, it
> doesn't close the tool.

You mean, the suggestion is to _not_ close thew tool? :)

> 2- add the option to snap guides at the border and/or center of layers
> bounds.

Makes sense to me

> 3 - add the option to autocrop layers to their limits (the same thing like
> when you do 'alpha to selection' then 'layers -> crop to selection')
> whenever you change it.

To autocrop in which cases? Transformation tools already have that.

> 4 - add a checkbox button in the scale tool for scale from center. Maybe add
> also a keyboard shortcut for it.

This is already in works and will be available in the new unified
transform tool, except it will be called differently. See
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Transformation_tool_specification#pivot
for reference.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org