Re: [Gimp-developer] present xcf as what it is, a gimp project file format

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:32:36AM +1000, Graeme Gill wrote:
> peter sikking wrote:
>
> > - this means that either all users would have to have intimate
> > knowledge of file formats to know why the option to save to them
> > disappear as edits are done (usability blooper. bit of alpha is
> > introduced? no more jpeg; any layers? no more png; paths and
> > layers? tiff is still there???) or one is doing the whole export thing
> > anyway, so what is the difference (exporting is not safe, remember?)
> > where are the extra hoops?
>
> Or you get the computer to do the hard work, and indicate what
> of the current image state would get dropped if forced to saved
> to that format.

Peter: am I wrong if I say that, with the newer versions of GIMP, due to
the final integration with GEGL, saving png to png or jpg to jpg has
even less sense, since GIMP inerently import into an internal
rappresentation that is no more constituited by 8 bit planes like
tiff/png/jpg images but 16 or even 32 bit float?

--

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |