[Gimp-developer] Gimp file open/save/export ideas.

I haven't had a chance to try the new 2.8 release of GIMP yet, or to
read the hundred or so messages about the changes in file open/save, so
I'm sorry if something I say here has already been covered.

I have read an idea that the GIMP format could be called the 'Work',
which makes sense to me.  My idea is that each context should have two
file names associated with it (pseudocode):

char* work_filename = NULL;
char* image_filename = NULL;

Then the menu items that seem to make the most sense to me would be:

Open File (Use "File" as it can be importing an image or opening a work.
This opens the file and sets either the work or image file name,
depending on if it was a .xcf or not.)

Import File (This is the same, but it does not set the work or image
file name.  This way, CTRL+S doesn't overwrite if it was undesired to
do so.  Essentially it opens a copy of the file.)

Save Work (This saves the .xcf file.  If the work file name is not
already set, then it will prompt for a file name and set the work file
name.)

Save Work As (Same except always prompt for a file name and set the work
file name to the new file name.)

Export Work (Prompt for file name and save the work without setting the
work file name.)

Save Image (This saves an image file.  If the image file name is not
already set, then it will prompt for a file name and set the image file
name.)

Save Image As (Same except always prompt for a file name and set the
image file name to the new file name.)

Export Image (Prompt for file name and save the image without setting
the image file name.)

Again I'm sorry if any ideas here have already been covered, and thanks
for such a great program.

Brian Allen Vanderburg II