Re: [Gimp-developer] the Gimp lcms.c plug-in

On 7/20/12, Elle Stone <l elle stone gmail com> wrote:
> On 7/20/12, Øyvind Kolås <pippin gimp org> wrote:
>> As we move along towards embracing a fully GEGLified workflow,
>> different things will happen at different times. The initial thing to
>> reach for is likely to support the 2.8 era manual colormanagement.
>> With a fully GEGLified system there will still be the need to use ICC
>> based conversions to pixel formats efficiently dealt with by
>> babl/GEGL/GIMP as well as do final transforms for display / export.
>
> Thanks! Now I have a better idea of the big picture regarding the lcms
> plug-in. I've had a chance to dig into the code and see what the
> different functions do and when they are called. It looks like
> converting the lcms.c plug-in to use lcms2 will be pretty easy to do.
> Which means really high bit depth conversions should also be not too
> difficult. But one step at a time.

Just an update. I rewrote the existing Gimp lcms.c plug-in to use
lcm2. It seems to work just like the current Gimp plug-in. If anyone
is interested in testing it, I can supply the code.

As explained here: http://ninedegreesbelow.com/temp/gimp-lcms-3.html
(see summary at bottom of page), there are some coding issues to be
resolved before attempting to make the lcms2 plug-in do high-bit-depth
color conversions. So dealing with the coding issues is my next step.

Also, has anyone seen this Ubuntu bug report?
Completely replace lcms1 by lcms2 in Ubuntu
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lcms/+bug/885324

Kind regards,
Elle