Re: [Gimp-developer] something's starting, it is the text tool

2012/1/14 Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com>:

> Speaking of which, there is another thing I absolutely hate about the
> current implementation.
>
> It's how GIMP currently treats font faces. First of all, it lists all
> faces anyway, even though it already has bold/italic buttons to
> toggle. So when you (accidentaly) choose a bold version in the list,
> the bold toggle stops doing anything.

I agree
The font dialog and the font selector in the type tool options should
show only font families; Type tool options dialog should have an extra
tab for selecting styles.
Scribus' text properties dialog has a nice implementation of that,
Bold and italic buttons can be kept, but they should interact with the
style selector (i.e.: changing the style to bold if the button was
pressed).
But the bold button itself isn't enough for families with several
weights (light, medium, book, semibold, extra-bold, ultra-bold) so the
extra selector is still needed.

Maybe this is a long shot, but let me try.
Since type tools in GTK applications (GIMP, Inkscape, etc) suffer
usually from the same issues, what if instead of developing a type
tool for GIMP you design a comprehensive type selector widget for
gnome?
As a user, I'd love to see a unified type selector in all my apps.
There are some tools that are specific to each application and their
workflow, but type, as well as file opening/saving is pretty much the
same always, so it would be great if gnome apps had a generic library
for that.