Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP 2.8 Feature Request (2)

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 07:14 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:
[...]
> "I am a user that always wants to export in .jpg. I use a lot of
> different source material, so the images I start out with can be of
> different formats. If I start with a .tiff, I still want GIMP to
> default to .jpg when I export the composition based on that file
> since.jpg was the format I exported to the last 10 times".

I interpret this as "gimp should learn over time which format I prefer
to use when exporting each particular image, and after 10 times should
default to the requested format" but I think that's proably not what's
really meant, as it'd be incredibly annoying.

Note also this is not a professional user, as she/he is preferring a
lossy format, and hence is not in the gimp target user group :-)

I suggest a preference,
default export format:
   [same as imported file]
   [same as last export]
   [tiff]
   [jpeg]
   [png]
    . . .

but that after you export a file once the same format you chose alst
time should be offered as the default the next time you export that
file, same as for non-png.

Not suggesting it be done before 2.8; there are some filename and export
bugs in there to be fixed too after 2.8, with files reverting to
Untitled after you export them. But I think not critical bugs.

Best,

Liam