Re: [Gimp-developer] RFE: single window mode: always show tab

Hello Alexia,

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:50:33 +0200 Alexia Death <alexiadeath gmail com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM, wwp <subscript free fr> wrote:
> > Anyway, it's not because you work on one document 99% of the time that
> > 99% of the users do so.
>
> People who create original art(painters for example) work mostly on
> single canvas with lots of docks on the sides using tab to show and
> hide them. this is no less valid use-case than yours. I would even
> argue, that your usecase is quite rare, because you hover between one
> and may images. Photo manipulation use-case as a rule assumes several
> documents open at all times and photo-correction usually just the one.
>
> > In another RFE to the bug tracker, I suggested to move tabs to the
> > left, instead of to the top. Since quite all screens are wider than
> > high, this makes way less space lost (at least the impact is
> > less sensible).
> Docks in gimp are all vertical only. I personally feel that my
> horizontal space is much more cramped than vertical if I want to keep
> visible the few essential docks I need. It's so cramped that I usually
> end up with a barely square or even slightly portrait work area. The
> tab bar is also seen as a transitory feature. In the future the tab
> bar will be replaced by "image parade" concept and its quite possible
> its position and size will be customizable...

I'm curious to know what "image parade" will look like!

If the tabs principle is going to be replaced, then maybe it's useless
to discuss much about it even now. But I guess that when Gimp 2.8 will
be released and between hands of users (including new users, potentially
attracted by the new features and the new single-window mode), you
might be harassed by requests about tabs management ;-) and see how
people can open several documents.

Back to what could be fixed:

- open Gimp 2.7.x
- open an image
- fill to window
- make a rectangle selection that includes nearly all the image
- open another image
- get back to the former one, now you don't see the whole selection
  rectangle, some part of it is out of sight

This is an issue, to me. Minor, of course!

Regards,

--
wwp