Re: [Gimp-developer] RFE: single window mode: always show tab

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM, wwp <subscript free fr> wrote:
> Anyway, it's not because you work on one document 99% of the time that
> 99% of the users do so.

People who create original art(painters for example) work mostly on
single canvas with lots of docks on the sides using tab to show and
hide them. this is no less valid use-case than yours. I would even
argue, that your usecase is quite rare, because you hover between one
and may images. Photo manipulation use-case as a rule assumes several
documents open at all times and photo-correction usually just the one.

> In another RFE to the bug tracker, I suggested to move tabs to the
> left, instead of to the top. Since quite all screens are wider than
> high, this makes way less space lost (at least the impact is
> less sensible).
Docks in gimp are all vertical only. I personally feel that my
horizontal space is much more cramped than vertical if I want to keep
visible the few essential docks I need. It's so cramped that I usually
end up with a barely square or even slightly portrait work area. The
tab bar is also seen as a transitory feature. In the future the tab
bar will be replaced by "image parade" concept and its quite possible
its position and size will be customizable...

--Alexia