[Gimp-developer] image quality degraded due to scaling

Hi,
While using GIMP, I noticed that when an image is scaled initially, and then rescaled after making some changes, the quality of the image reduces. It is very significant when the image is scaled by a large extent.
I understand that this is due to the data loss that occurs during scaling. But i was wondering if there was any alternative approach to avoid this problem.
I wonder if the original image can be cached or stored somewhere and when the image is rescaled, the changes that have been done, mapped to the original image and then displaying the final image with respect to that. Is this approach implementable? Or is there already some provision to handle such things?
I am new to open source development. So any help on how to go about solving this would be great.