Re: [Gimp-developer] Why the endless background conversions between linear and regular sRGB TRC?

Guillermo Espertino (Gez) (gespertino gmail com) wrote:
> El 31/08/12 14:05, Simon Budig escribió:
> > [compromises in Gimp] so that old
> > XCF files in a new Gimp look the same as always.
>
> I wonder how much of a big deal would
> be to ditch legacy appearance.

Well, it is not just about compatibility, it is also about trust of our
userbase.

I think it is important that we do not give the impression that we mess
around with the users data at the whim of the developers. Some people
probably have invested lots of time in complex artwork where it is not
exactly clear what to do to restore the original look, especially if you
don't know where to steer towards.

Anyway, it probably is not that bad. We already discussed the
possibility of legacy layer modes which would retain the old look but
are basically unavailable or hidden in the layers dialog.

At the same time new layer modes with the old names can be introduced.

Bye,
        Simon

--
              simon budig de              http://simon.budig.de/