Re: [Gimp-developer] Why the endless background conversions between linear and regular sRGB TRC?

The ultimate goal of working in a linear light color space is both
clear and noble.

The purpose of the constant background converting back and forth
between two tone curves, sRGB TRC and linear gamma, is not clear at
all.

"In service of the noble goal" doesn't explain *why* the conversions
are done over and over again instead of just once. I really, really,
really want to know why those relentlessly repeating background
conversions between sRGB TRC and linear gamma are happening. But I
will stop asking. And maybe some kind soul will send a private email
giving an explanation that I can understand.

I was excited to find out that the latest LCMS can do color
conversions involving negative floating point numbers. If the Gimp
code is only 20% finished, then perhaps the information I just gave
about the new ability of LCMS to do conversions involving negative
floating point numbers might be pertinent to crafting the remaining
80%. But if not, then I apologize for posting it.

Elle