Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp 2.8.1 when?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:

> What do release managers think about, say, point releases no longer than
> every 3 months?

I completely agree with everything you said. I assume you are
going to help making this happen?

I'll provide all the encouragement you require.  :-)

But what's involved? GIMP releases are source-only, so it seems like it's just:
- Update any internal version numbers
- Write release notes (based on bugzilla, commit logs?)
- Tag a point-release branch (sorry, CVS/SVN terms)
- Put the .tgz on FTP (how ancient am I?)
- Update the web site.

I would think that in an ideal world, one of the autobuilders would tag/branch each successful point-release build, then one of these (say, ~75 days in) becomes the first -RC. That gives up to 2-3 weeks worth of RCs, assuming no calamitous test results.

Chris