Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp 2.8.1 when?

Hello everyone,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Marco Ciampa <ciampix libero it> wrote:

Any hint on when GIMP 2.8.1 will be released?

I know that the idea of timed releases has generally not been well received in the past, but I wonder if the GIMP team would agree that timed point-releases are a good thing?

Somehow, after 3.5 years of development, version 2.8 turned out not to be perfect. Well, that stuff happens, but there appear to be another 38 bugs currently fixed in the 2.8 trunk (assuming my bugzilla-fu is worthy).

What do release managers think about, say, point releases no longer than every 3 months?

That seems to me like a decent amount of time for users to adopt the release and find the low-hanging issues, developers to address the simpler nuisances, and reasonable amount of time for people to put up with the problems while they wait for the next known release.  Version 2.8 was released on May 3; by this schedule, 2.8.1 would have been released around August 3.

Chris