Re: [Gimp-developer] Gegl gaussian blur gamma error

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Elle Stone <l elle stone gmail com> wrote:
> At first the idea of doing away with assigning and converting except
> on import and export seemed a bit extreme (translation: not what I'm
> used to!). However, after thinking about it, the only case I could
> think of where it might cause a problem was as I described, when
> wanting to try several profiles before choosing one profile to apply
> to the raw color image. Or when profile testing.

In my opinion this is how strongly enforced color management should be
done, if you permit scaling, blurring etc. of an image in an
ill-defined color space, or even having the UI control of various
color adjustments do slightly arbitrarily different things depending
on working spaces.. you leave the user to do the manual color
management; quite likely screwing up things that are misunderstood. ;)

> This same procedure - the ability to "test assign" multiple profiles -
> would also be of use when importing an image when you don't really
> know what profile the image ought to have, either because either the
> wrong profile was embedded (it does happen!) or because there is no
> embedded profile.

You can define a gegl op that reinterprets the data correcting the
assumption about which profile it actually has. This would be similar
to the already existing color-temperature operation in GEGL. As long
as the resulting buffer is a buffer tagged with "RGB float" GEGL will
then act correctly on the data with its very strict color management.

/Ø
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://twitter.com/hodefoting