Re: [Gimp-developer] Gegl gaussian blur gamma error

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 13:31 -0400, Elle Stone wrote:
> On 8/7/12, Øyvind Kolås <pippin gimp org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Elle Stone <l elle stone gmail com> wrote:
> >> On 8/5/12, Øyvind Kolås <pippin gimp org> wrote:
> >> I don't think I understand what the preceeding sentence says. I think
> >> it says that ultimately, when all changeover to gegl/babl is complete,
> >> Gimp should *not* allow the user the option of assigning one or
> >> another ICC color space profile to an image, and *not* allow the user
> >> to convert an image from one ICC profile to another. But that can't be
> >> right, can it?
> >
> > I'll try to explain the desired situation in the end differently:
> >
> > Files coming into GIMP and going out of GIMP might have assigned ICC
> > profiles, this is for import and export.
> >
> > There should be ways to change the colors in a buffer to correct for a
> > wrong profile. As well as deciding that you want to export images from
> > the composition with a different profile from the input.
> >

> Having thought about it, the only situation I can think of where what
> you describe might possibly present a problem is when opening an
> interpolated raw file that was saved as "raw color" and hence doesn't
> have an embedded profile, or where the embedded profile is a camera
> profile, and perhaps the person wants to apply several other camera
> profiles in turn, before deciding which one to use.
>
> Among people who profile their own camera, choosing which of several
> camera profiles to use with a given interpolated-but-still-raw-color
> image is not uncommon, which means applying each profile in turn
> before deciding which one to use.
>
> Also consider if the person is testing a new profiling procedure, or
> in the process of creating a new camera profile (conceptually
> distinguishable, even if the same steps get used). In either case, one
> might want to "apply, export, apply, export, etc" for further
> comparisons of the resulting colors/tonality.
>
> Does the envisioned way Gimp should eventually work compatible with
> applying several camera profiles before deciding which one to use?
> And/or with "apply/export/apply new/export/etc" when testing camera
> profiles?

By discussing here, you turned yourself into a contributor to
the definition of that future workflow and feature set. Since
you know quite a lot and have an opinion, why not suggest how
it *should* work, in your opinion, along the constraints that
the conversions will only ever happen upon import and export
(plus the possibility to convert a buffer in order to correct
wrong profiles).

Regards,
--mitch