Re: [Gimp-developer] Gegl gaussian blur gamma error

On 8/7/12, Øyvind Kolås <pippin gimp org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Elle Stone <l elle stone gmail com> wrote:
>> On 8/5/12, Øyvind Kolås <pippin gimp org> wrote:
>> I don't think I understand what the preceeding sentence says. I think
>> it says that ultimately, when all changeover to gegl/babl is complete,
>> Gimp should *not* allow the user the option of assigning one or
>> another ICC color space profile to an image, and *not* allow the user
>> to convert an image from one ICC profile to another. But that can't be
>> right, can it?
>
> I'll try to explain the desired situation in the end differently:
>
> Files coming into GIMP and going out of GIMP might have assigned ICC
> profiles, this is for import and export.
>
> There should be ways to change the colors in a buffer to correct for a
> wrong profile. As well as deciding that you want to export images from
> the composition with a different profile from the input.

Having thought about it, the only situation I can think of where what
you describe might possibly present a problem is when opening an
interpolated raw file that was saved as "raw color" and hence doesn't
have an embedded profile, or where the embedded profile is a camera
profile, and perhaps the person wants to apply several other camera
profiles in turn, before deciding which one to use.

Among people who profile their own camera, choosing which of several
camera profiles to use with a given interpolated-but-still-raw-color
image is not uncommon, which means applying each profile in turn
before deciding which one to use.

Also consider if the person is testing a new profiling procedure, or
in the process of creating a new camera profile (conceptually
distinguishable, even if the same steps get used). In either case, one
might want to "apply, export, apply, export, etc" for further
comparisons of the resulting colors/tonality.

Does the envisioned way Gimp should eventually work compatible with
applying several camera profiles before deciding which one to use?
And/or with "apply/export/apply new/export/etc" when testing camera
profiles?

Elle