Re: [Gimp-developer] Getting the recognition that GIMP deserves

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Alexia Death wrote:
> Cinepaint hasn't made releases in years (and two of the last releases
> don't even have source code tarballs) despite of endless promises. The
> only thing that is alive is Kai-Uwe's Git tree where occasional
> development happens, again, without releases.
>
> Out of curiousity, what exactly would you like to merge from Cinepaint? :)
Painter fork, not cinepaint ;)

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM, phanisvara das
<listmail phanisvara com> wrote:
> in general you're correct, of course. exceptions confirm the validity of
> rules though, and with your development version of GIMP (git master), you
> created one of those. i do have GIMP stable installed as well, apart from
> pulling the latest git version on mondays, but, if i remember correctly, i
> had to use that only once during those 2+ years. every other time GIMP 2.7
> miserably failed to crash on me, or misbehave in any other significant way.
> it's more stable than other software i'm using that's already in their 4th
> release.

While gimp in its development form is quite stable compared, you have
gotten lucky and have not  strayed from beaten path too much;)  Ive
lost at least once about 4h worth of painting to a crash ;) Crashes
itself are not that big of an issue tho, they are easy to find and
fix. There are more subtle ways a developer version can misbehave
ruining your art. Crashes are easy to catch, unintended behavior in
some cases can not.

--
--Alexia