Re: [Gimp-developer] Getting the recognition that GIMP deserves

On 10/11/2011 09:51, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Aleksandar Kovac wrote:

"It's only a dev version, general users won't see it." is a lame excuse on
many levels. Is there 'us' and 'them' in open source?

Come on, you are smarter than that. Of course there is "us" and
"them". Using development versions causes cancer, brings 20 year of
unluck on your family and kills kittens by thousands. People wo use
graphics software professionally tend to use apps that produce
_repeatedly_ consistent output. No dev version _ever_ guarantees that.
I find it highly distrurbuing that such a simple thing should even be
explained.

I'm an 'average user' and I'd usually stick to stable releases of stuff like GIMP, but come on - 2.6 is two years old now with no single-window mode. Of course I'm using 2.7. I have no problem with the dodgy splash screen using GIMP at home because I'm not uptight, but thinking about it I might be a little bit uncomfortable installing it at work. ;-) I'd agree with those saying such splash screens should probably be avoided, even for development versions.

Speaking of 2.6 being old, how accurate is this tasktaste graph?
http://tasktaste.com/projects/Enselic/gimp-2-8

It would seem to suggest there are maybe 1-2 weeks of work left but I get the feeling there is more than that. :-)

--
Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)