Re: [Gegl-developer] VIPS and GEGL performance and memory usage comparison

Hello all, vips maintainer here, thank you for this interesting discussion.

On 29 January 2016 at 16:37, Daniel Rogers <daniel phasevelocity org> wrote:
A fast 8 bit pipeline is great for previews or single operation stacks, or
when accuracy is not as important for the user.

My feeling is that gegl is probably right to be float-only, the cost
is surprisingly low on modern machines. On my laptop, for that
benchmark in 8-bit I see:

  $ time ./vips8.py tmp/x.tif tmp/x2.tif
  real    0m0.504s
  user    0m1.548s
  sys    0m0.104s

If I add "cast(float)" just after the load, and "cast(uchar)" just
before the write, the whole thing runs as float and I see:

  $ time ./vips8.py tmp/x.tif tmp/x2.tif
  real    0m0.578s
  user    0m1.768s
  sys    0m0.148s

Plus float-only makes an opencl path much simpler.

As you say, this tiny benchmark is very focused on batch performance,
so fast startup / shutdown and lots of file IO. It's not what gegl is
generally used for.

John