Re: [gedit-list] gedit is unmaintained, some thoughts

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 03:31:48PM +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
Gedit is a very basic editor compared to vim, builds on powerful libs
as gtksourceview and still has so much code...

Because it takes care of a lot of details.

A good example: if the clipboard is empty, the paste action is
insensitive. I've implemented the same in Tepl recently:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/tepl/commit/?id=810db09f33837dce39e9fe6b69d7848fc8a44265

So you see, more than 100 lines of code for such a small detail. If
there are dozens or hundreds of small details like this, the code adds
up. I would not be surprised if Tepl has >= 30k lines of code in the
future.

(Of course if taking care of small details introduce bugs, it makes more
harm than good.)

--
Sébastien